Long Beach Downtown new car owners are often surprised when they are told their new vehicle uses synthetic oil. Additionally, they discover a synthetic oil change is about twice the cost of the standard oil change. So when did this new costly upgrade happen and will it really benefit me and my vehicle?
Well it all started around 2019 when about 70% of all newer vehicles began to recommend using synthetic oil or a synthetic blend oil for their engines. We’ll get into synthetic blends in a later article, for now lets stick with synthetic oil. Synthetic oils are generally the better choice for performance and the longevity of your vehicle. This is based on the fact that synthetic oil protects your engine due to lower levels of friction which protect your engine better at extreme high and low tempters. Moreover, synthetic oils don’t break down as quickly as standard oils meaning you can go further distances in between regular oil changes that help save money down the road.
So lets dig a bit deeper into what synthetic oil is. In a nut shell it’s artificially made from a variety of chemical compounds. They are then broken down and then rebuilt into new petroleum molecules. However, The base material, is still made mostly of crude oil that is distilled and then modified physically and chemically. There are many types of synthetics oils available with distinctly different properties and applications that vary based on the ultimate needs of your vehicle.
Here are some of the benefits when using Synthetic Oil:
- Synthetics have a naturally higher viscosity index. Meaning, the viscosity changes less as temperature changes during normal engine startup and operating conditions as a result of being a more stable compound than standard oil.
- Getting a longer engine life in most vehicles. Many Long Beach Downtown drivers have never owned a vehicle that lasted long enough to hit the 200,000 miles mark on their engine. But, with so many new vehicles using synthetic oils these days we will soon see more drivers every year achieving that goal.
- Synthetic engine oils are generally less volatile than standard oils. This means there is less loss of the oil to the engine’s exhaust stream causing air pollution. This could also mean less need for adding oil between oil changes.
- At extremely low temperatures, it is possible for mineral oils to become so thick (high viscosity) that the oil is non-pumpable making it unable to circulate effectively within the engine.
- Synthetic oil has a longer lifespan than conventional oil. The recommended change interval for synthetic oil is around every 5,000 to 7,000 miles or 6 to 8 months, with some brands lasting much longer (15,000 to 25,000).
In conclusion, for many vehicles, synthetic oils could be a better choice for overall engine operation, performance and longevity. Unless the biggest factor in making your selection of lubrication is only based on cost. If you like the idea of fewer oil changes, upgrading to synthetic oil is the wisest choice, call Orozco’s Auto Service of Long Beach Downtown today at 562-426-6322. Keep your vehicle in good condition and ensure the safety of yourself, your loved ones, and those around you!
Orozco’s Auto Service Long Beach – Los Angeles County CA
3033 Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach, CA USA
Call Today: 562-426-6322 – Auto/Fleet/Diesel Service Repair